Wednesday 14 March 2012

I am a world before I am a man...

I am using this research as the basis not only for my context project but also for my film art consolidation project. Bearing this in mind I would like to briefly discuss how I wish the film to look.

In a session a while ago we discussed how music videos can be a good source of inspiration for film techniques and styles. This got me thinking, so I began to look through my favourite music videos for inspiration. My  favourite music video is Before I Forget by Slipknot, for those who are perhaps unfamiliar with Slipknot, their image is based on the idea of anonymity, they all wear the same boiler suits, each wears an individual mask and they are all named with numbers.

In the music video they are all wearing simple black t-shirts, jeans and trainers, they're masks are off and displayed near them and they are performing in a large, white room. To me this music video is amazing, the cinematography fits the theme of anonymity so perfectly. The entire video is made up of close ups, the viewer never gets the full picture, with an extremely shallow depth of field, making anyone or anything appearing in the background of a shot blurry and out of focus, hiding their identity. It is also quite over exposed, making even their location a mystery.

All these techniques not only continue the band's theme of anonymity but it also makes them feel like more than just people. I feel that not only is this a cool look that I wish to explore but also that it would compliment the subject matter of the film, it would make the characters feel more like entities than people just as the music video does. Another thing to note is the use of costume in the video, very simplified that goes well with the look and it will be worth exploring that as well as the camera techniques for the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment